2.26.2011

all in the name

I wanted the name of my blog, and it's meaning, to be one of the first posts I made. I have been writing and re-writing it since I started, trying to figure out how to detail my choice in less than 388 pages! Ok, maybe 388 is a slight exageration but you get the point. I was trying to find a name that would not only be pleasing to the eyes, ears, flow off the tounge but, really make a statement as to what this life I have begun means. I had a long list that included, to name a few, the following: A Navy Wife Life,  My Life as A Sailors Wife,  Life as a McConnell and my original favorite, McConnell - 2 "C"s, 2 "N"s, 2 "L"s. None of those names, however, really hit me with anything other than a name. What could describe, then,  my general outlook on life AND directly relate to the course my life has taken?

I'm MARRIED, my Husband is in the Navy (if you hadn't picked up on that yet), and my life is now dictated by "what is best" for the United States Government! What have I gotten myself into?? I do not yet know what it's like to be married, I do not yet know what it's like to love a sailor, and I do not, by any means, know what it's like to have my life's course in the hands of someone else let alone our government. Only certain things will help us hold it all together:


Hope & Love


Hope will do for the soul as an anchor will do for a ship. While the anchor has long been a symbol directly linked to the Navy as a sailor's last resort in rough waters, remaining strong and steady through a storm, it can also directly relate to our relationships. I believe Kevin and I have found an anchor in  one another; someone to help us remain calm through life's ups and downs.

Love then, if you can see where this is going, is the sail.  Originaly used in conjunction with wind as propulsion for the ships in our Navy, sails have now been replaced by nuclear reactors producing steam. So while my husband is literally responsible for his ship moving from one place to another, Love (the unconditional, love you at your worst kind) will be responsible for moving our relationship forward.


The life that both Kevin and I have chosen to live rests entirely, then, on Anchors & Sails.

Sara Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment